Friday, May 9, 2014

Morning Job Routine for my 5 year old

I can't tell you how much I have struggled to get my son to get ready in the morning.  When I tell him it's time to get dressed he does everything but that!  It sometimes is 1 hour between the time I say get dressed until he is dressed.  There have been meltdowns for mom and son.  Not good!  I do not want to start my morning that way.  So, I thought and thought and saw this picture somewhere online one weekend and an idea popped into my mind.  I have been trying to get him to be responsible and accountable without me being part of the equation.

So I made a board with 2 cups.  One cup has his jobs written on sticks (just four morning jobs) and the other cup says DONE!  When he does the job he moves the stick to the other cup.  When all jobs are done he reports to me and then gets a sticker for the day and 15 minutes of free time.  It works great.  At the end of the week if he has all 5 stickers he gets 25 cents (5 cents for each sticker).

So far I have kept out of the way and watched my son become responsible and we have had smooth mornings with no meltdowns.

This system has been the best by far of everything that I have tried.  It's easy and I don't have to do anything!

 
 
The jobs are:
Get dressed
Fill water bottles for kids
Feed and water the cat
Check in with mom

No comments: