Thursday, April 12, 2012

Learning Activity: Phonemic Awareness


When I taught Kindergarten, I went to a seminar about Phonemic Awareness.  It was very educational.  Basically, it is playing with language so kids will be able to hear sounds and also it prepares them for reading.  It is absolutely fun!

I decided that since I will be homeschooling my son, I would start phonemic awareness activities and I found this book at the library: Fee, Fie, Phonemic Awareness: 130 Prereading Activities for Preschoolers by Mary Hohmann.

The first activities that she recommends is listening for sounds.  The second activity she suggests is using rhymes.  So I am going to do some phonemic awareness activities with my son this month with sounds and rhymes.  Stay tuned for ideas and activities!

No comments: