Thursday, September 22, 2011

Warrior Prayers: Day 17 (Gentleness)



Today we pray for Gentleness (page 34).

From Brooke:
Aggression in men is commonplace. It may not manifest itself the same way for all of them, but it’s there nonetheless. For the physical boys, it shows up in their need to be on the top of the wrestling pile. For the intellectuals, it shows up in their need to score the highest on the exam or be at the top of the class. Personally, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with aggression. I don’t want to break my sons of their aggressive streak and I’m learning not to be afraid of it. But I do want to teach them how and when to use it. I’m beginning to think that gentleness is more of an approach to life than a specific characteristic to develop.

"But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere." ~James 3:17 

Question for Discussion:
*How do you teach gentleness to your son?

Tomorrow (9/23) we pray for Self-Control (page 35).

3 comments:

April said...

Surprisingly, both my sons have a gentleness about them. I'm not saying perfect ALL the time, they are boys but being so young I'd say they have a great idea of what gentleness is and how to be/act gentle.

Larissa said...

One of our sons is much more aggressive, so we have to allow plenty of outlets for it incl. wrestling w/ dad, so that he can actually be gentle the other times. we talk about it a lot! competition/aggression is a very inherent boy thing that you don't completely want to destroy right?!

melissa said...

With my first son, I could teach him to be gentle with his baby brother. But now, that big bro is 3 and little bro is almost 2...hmm... I am usually with my boys during the church service, but in a "little kids room". With my second son, I can teach him to be gentle with the other children younger than him.