Saturday, September 24, 2011

Warrior Prayers: Day 19 (Anger)


Today we pray against Anger (page 38).

This is an area where I struggle.  I'm praying for God to change my heart!  I tend to be a perfectionist and I get frustrated so easily and I let little things bother me and boil me.  This spills over into my interactions with my children.  Help me, Lord!  I want to be a better example to my children.

From Brooke:
So much of the Christian life is a choice. Every day (multiple times a day) we’re presented with a choice to choose God or choose ourselves. Anger is a perfect example.

You can just feel it coming, can’t you? Anger is an almost total body experience. Muscles get tight. Temples throb. Jaw clenches. Explosion feels imminent … wooing us into believing we have no choice but to react.

But it’s not true. We almost always have a choice when it comes to anger. We can choose to embrace it and sin. Or choose to put it away, and instead choose kindness, self-control, compassion, and love.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice."
~Ephesians 4:31

Tomorrow (9/25) we pray for Salvation (page 39).

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh Shonda, I can relate! I tend to have a temper and I cringe when I see Jonathan (or Grace) showing their temper. It's been a rough week around here with J. being sick, and I had to keep praying to stay calm when he would challenge me. Self control is such a hard thing to learn and model!

Shonda said...

Amanda- I feel like since we started this challenge we have been attacked, but that is normal when we are coming before God with such important things such as the hearts of our sons. Satan is tempting us to be the opposite example and that is all the more reason we need to be in battle with these Warrior Prayers. I'm glad I don't struggle alone, but I am also glad we know the ONE who can help us!

Ali said...

This is my problem area as well. Anger has been with me ever since I was little, I remember having issues with it for, well, as long as I can remember! It is terrible and ugly and I really struggle with it. Just yesterday I was watching my 3 1/2 DS Jimmy play with his trains and he was getting really frustrated and he was saying things that I know I say too much and I felt awful (not bad words, but things like "I am so tired of this!" and "this is ridiculous!" etc). I do NOT want him following in my footsteps!